Friday, December 10, 2010

Tile Coasters (25 Days of Christmas No. 11)

I got the idea for these from TheFrugalGirls.com (you can find their directions here). However, instead of using photos, I used scrapbook paper! It's so hard for me to find photos of everyone in my family, so I thought scrapbook paper would also be pretty:)



You will need:


  • Four 4.25 x 4.25 in.white ceramic tiles (Matt got mine for 16 cents each at Home Depot!)
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Mod Podge
  • Paint
  • 2 Foam brushes
  • Wax Paper
  • Sand paper, a nail file, emery board, etc.
  • Spray acrylic or lacquer (not pictured)
  • Cork, felt, or fleece scraps for backing (not pictured)
  • X-acto knife or a razor blade
  • Hot glue gun (not pictured)


Paint all the edges with your choice of paint (I only had red handy).


Do two coats on all four sides letting the paint dry between applications.


Apply Mod Podge to the tile.

 Press the tile firmly down on the paper.


Securely smooth the paper down with something (I used a pen).


Remove the excess paper like I did for the picture frame tutorial (you can find the directions on how to do that here).


Apply 3-4 coats of Mod Podge to the top of the paper (being sure to cover all areas-- even sides and corners), letting each coat dry between applications.



Let everything dry completely before you do any more steps! And don't forget to admire your (almost finished) coasters;)



Measure and cut your backing a little smaller than your tiles.
I cut my backing 4 x 4 in because my tiles measured at 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 in.


Attach the backing with hot glue.


Spray your tiles with lacquer or acrylic 3-4 times, letting it dry enough between applications.
Please read and follow all directions on the can of lacquer or acrylic!


And there ya go! A beautiful gift that is very heart-felt and thoughtful. I may try it with the photos next time (Matt did get me 30 tiles!). I'll be sure to post the results if I do.

Until next time, toodles!

P.S. When you cut your cork, do it on something thick. Don't do this:

 
:'( RIP Christmas tablecloth.

No comments:

Post a Comment